Monday, April 27, 2009

I need to shower...hope I make it out alive!

The good news is that I arrived safely last Monday with all my luggage present and intact, my flights went smoothly and there was no crying or sprinting from one gate to another with people yelling at me to hurry because I was late and was going to miss my flight, AND...there were no stops in Lima!! (Any trip with no stops in Lima is a breeze)

The bad news is the humidity is intense and the mosquitos bite hard and often. I'm getting accustomed to being here again, but it's a process that takes time and I find myself missing home a lot even though when I was home I was missing Ecuador. Having the opportunity to go to different places in the world is such a great blessing and it has filled my heart with so much joy. And yet, it's so difficult. I've come to have family and a home in a lot of different places and while I love being in each of those places, I long to be in the others. I look forward, with much anticipation, to the day when there will be just one place, one home, and we will all be in it together. I guess that's my way of saying I'm homesick for you.

My days here have been blessed. I live with a family in the town of El Recreo who has welcomed me into their home as if it were my own. The house is typical for this town. It's made of cinderblocks, and has no glass in the barred windows, only curtains to keep the bugs at bay. I have my own room and a big, comfortable bed, with a top-of-the-line mosquito net that was a gift from Ismael's parents. I have enough to eat each day and am genuinely enjoying my time spent in the house. There are ten people living there, not including me, and they are a really loving family. Gregorio is my old friend who extended the invitation las year for me to live in their home. I live with he and his son, his mother and father, his sister and brother-in-law, and their three children, and his niece (the daughter of his brother who does not live there). Gregorio's parents are the only people in the house who do not attend the local church, but just this morning I had an interesting conversation with his mom about the Bible and what's written in it, and I hope to be able to show his family the love of God while I'm here.

Yesterday I went with Ismael to the city of Los Samanes, about 45 minutes away by bus, to meet a missionary couple who oversee 5 different churches in different towns in that area. We went to a church service with them in the town of Torre Fuerte and afterward, they took us to see all the different churches they work with. I met a woman named Monica, who attends the church in Los Samanes and beginning next week I will have the opportunity to go stay in her home for a few weeks in Los Samanes. This is a blessing because living there, I will be able to meet people in her church who work for the university and other organizations in Guayaquil who I will be able to talk with about the University Project to get input and information about the school system and the requirements for non-profit organizations here in Ecuador.

I am hopeful that this week I will be able to spend more time catching up with old friends and less time feeling homesick and itchy.

Please pray for my stay with Gregorio's family; that my presence there will be a blessing to them as it is to me. And for the University Project so that we will be able to gather the information we need to make decisions about the program we want to set up. And for protection as there is actually warm, running water in the house for showers...




...but it's definitely wired, and in such a way that makes me think each shower could very well be my last. HA!



Thanks for checking in with me! I miss you!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

Don't worry. I think being able to handle electrocution is genetic. You'll be fine.

what?

hold on, the voices in my head are arguing again.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

If you get electrocuted, make sure you do something useful with the raw power flowing through you. So you should probably grip like a toaster's cord or something, or a lightbulb. Waste not!

11:35 PM  
Blogger The Lunaverse said...

That is a fancy showerhead!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Trento said...

Reminds me of Grandma Pam's showerheads in Costa Rica. They're scary.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Marie said...

We miss you too! Keep us updated on your happenings. By the way, love the pink mosquito net, great color.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Dad said...

So, what IS that, anyway? Is it a pump at the end of that pipe? Or, is it a little heater to warm the water?

I'm glad you're getting to move around the country a little bit.

Miss you ...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

what it IS, is a heater that the water flows through. It's got multiple live wires sticking out of it. No massaging action...unless we're talking about some kind of weird electro-massage. So far, so good though...still alive!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home