Wednesday, August 16, 2006

It's colder inside the house than it is outside.


It feels sort of like the rush will never end. Every morning, we're up early and every night, we're up late and during the day in between we're going non-stop, physically, spiritually, emotionally. It's hard to keep up. Plus, Chileans speak really really fast, and all at the same time when they're in groups, and it's hard to understand. I feel left out a lot of the time because I can't keep up with the conversation. But I have had a chance to talk one-on-one with a couple of them, and that has been really awesome.

There are so many kids here! And they are really eager to learn what we have to teach. The Chilean team brought crafts with them that are reminders of the bible stories we tell during the presentations in the plazas. One is about how Jesus fed the 5000 with just a little bit of bread and fish, and the other is about Jesus walking on the water. It's fun to watch the kids as they watch the stories acted out, and to see them do the crafts with us...it's like they've never used crayons before. Maybe some of them haven't, I have no idea.

Daniel, one of the Chilean team, is in the hospital. He had fluid in his lungs a few days ago. He couldn't breathe. Apparently he had had an infection before he came to Cuzco, but it got better...but being here, dancing, singing, jumping, climbing steps, walking everywhere in high altitude...it came back even worse. They want to keep him in the hospital three days. And that's not a fun place to be. It's actually kind of a scary place to be. Please keep Daniel in your prayers. They also think now that he might have a heart problem as well.

Since Daniel has been getting rest and care (sort of) in the hospital, Everybody has been doing everything, plus what Daniel usually does...We've even asked a couple of the youth that come to bible studies with us to come help out, doing puppets and stuff. I wish it were under different circumstances, but I'm glad that they are getting involved. Cesar and his friend Jose have been helping us a lot. I learned Daniel's part in the drama that the team brought to perform for the adults and youth in the crowd. Yes...that's right...I play Satan. I know, I know, type-casting, right? Spare me your lame jokes. Or don't. They're probably funny. Just no lame jokes, ok? Because that will irritate me. And everyone else who reads them. Only funny jokes allowed. Anyway, it's been fun. I hope he gets better soon though, so he can be back, working with us again. By the way, no, I did not wear the vanguard sweatshirt on purpose to play Satan, but now that I think about it...kind of fitting, no?

13 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

I was all ready to comment about Satan being a Vanguard Alum, then I finished reading the post and you ruined it for me. Thanks a lot, Amy!

Holly would like to inform the Peruvian children that crayons also make great between-meal snacks.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

and can you bring home that little girl you are doing thumbs-up with?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

somehow it wouldn't surprise me if satan went to vanguard. the baby-head thing was probably his idea...not to mention the other thing.

that cute little girl is Lupe. she is 2. Last week, it was my first time up there with all those kids, and she was so afraid of me. hahaha! but this time, when we went, she just walked (waddled) right up to me, grabbed my hand and didn't let go almost the whole day. it was really sweet.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So is the green face paint as itchy as the red?

Glad you're having fun...being Satan! Now you share something else with Judith!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

do you do any work with any orphanages? That picture is enough to make me consider Peru after we do China.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy:

You don't know me, but I am friends with Kevin and Jill.

I have so enjoyed reading your posts, praying for you and your team, and praising God for your desire to endure a thousand steps to watch Peruvians take even one little one toward Jesus.

Blessings! Ephesians 2:10!

Amberly Neese

3:33 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

no, sarah, the green is not itchy at all...that's why i chose it instead of the red.

amberly, thanks for reading and for your prayers. i really appreciate your support!

and, as a matter of fact, we just returned home from the orphanage where we did a presentation this afternoon. i'll put some picutres up of that soon.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention what "other thing"? Or, are you just baiting me? Probably not. There probably is an "other thing." Nevermind, don't tell me.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O-o-o-h-h-h, the "other" thing.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

hahaha, yeah...the other thing.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I love your posts and your comments. You have great friends! I'm lifting you up in prayer and know that God will use you in mighty ways during your stay in Cusco.

Blessings,

Charissa

8:53 PM  
Blogger Padfoot240 said...

I don't have any funny Amy-Satan jokes. Sorry.

Ditto with Mike

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home