Tuesday, September 05, 2006

One Month Today...

I can't believe I've been here for a month already. Time has really flown by. It feels like just yesterday I was running through the airport crying, thinking I would miss my flight here!

We have been so busy here, working with the kids up at San Marcos, doing Bible studies and prayer meetings every week, working with the missions team non-stop, then entertaining guests from Chile, then guests from Washington...the fun never ends!

I have to say, so far, my favorite part about this internship has been those precious kids. You have no idea how much they have touched my heart. I meet new kids and learn more names each week. And even though we wake up earlier than I'm used to on Sundays in order to get there on time, it's so worth it. Every time we come walking down the road, and see all those sweet faces on the playground down below waiting for us; every week, when we arrive and one of the kids sees us walking toward them and starts shouting, "Están aquí! Mira! Tíaaa!! Tíoooooo!!!!" "Look, they're heeeere!!!" And then all the kids start shouting and coming toward us. Every time I get a hug and a kiss on the cheek from one of those wonderful kids, my heart melts.

I have grown to love this sweet little girl named Guadalupe. Everyone calls her Lupe for short. She is two years old, and she loves to play with the other kids, even though they're all so much bigger than she is. She's the little one I'm talking to there in the middle, with the cute pink hat. She is so precious...she waddles when she runs, and she laughs when she's finished running, and she's always got a big smile on her face! She is a miracle. We ran into her mom on our way home from Sunday school with the kids this past week, and began talking with her a little bit. Her mom began telling us about how Lupe was what they call a "kangaroo baby." She was born so prematurely that they could not even keep her in an incubator. She was something like two pounds when she was born. They took her tiny body and placed it on her mom's stomach, and then wrapped them up together. She survived that way for months, only being moved when the wrap needed to be changed, until she was big enough and strong enough to survive without the body heat from her mother. Incredible! Lupe certainly is a gift from God, to her family and to me. And Lupe is not the first child in her family to survive in this way. Her older brother, Eric, was also a kangaroo baby. How amazing God is! What good gifts He gives to His children; even though we have to go through difficult, scary times sometimes before we receive those gifts. I imagine that during the first few months Lupe's mom was terrified, thinking of the possibility of survival for her babies...but now, I think when she looks at them and sees how strong they are; how full of precious life they are...she must thank God for the gifts He has given her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home