Monday, September 11, 2006

Movie-Making in Peru

Mondays on the Peruvian mission field are libre; free. We sleep in until whenever the day wakes us up, we hang out, we rest, we go walk around the beautiful Plaza de Armas (if we feel like switching our slippers for shoes and going outside). We even stay up well past midnight watching movies or playing games on Sunday nights after everyone has left from Bible study...because we know we can sleep in the next morning. So, you can imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up at 7:38 without the assistance of an alarm clock. And you can imagine my excitement when I realized that the thing that would not allow me to go back to sleep, as I was trying so hard to do, was the whirlwind of amazing ideas for the youth ministry here that was bombarding my brain.


This morning, God said it's time for change. No more observing the culture from a distance, no more simply participating in the things that other people are offering to the ministries here. It's time to bring what you have to the table...


Lately we've been spending more and more time getting to know the youth that come to our Bible studies and prayer meetings. We've been trying to get to know them on a more personal level; inviting them over to the house to hang out, roast marshmallows, watch movies, and have Mexican Train tournaments...we've been going out and playing soccer and other games with them...it's definitely been a learning experience, and a lot of fun.


Well if there's one thing I'm passionate about, it's youth ministry. And if there's one thing I'm good at doing, it's making dumb movies....so....I have been furiously writing down every single idea that has come to my mind all morning long. It's beautiful! I feel like I really have something to give here; and I'm not just piggybacking on the things that other people are contributing. Don't misunderstand me, I am honored to be a part of the work we have been doing here, and I feel that my contribution matters. But it's nice to have something original to offer as well.



I'm finding more and more how much I love these kids and want to minister to them. I want to be able to talk with them and be someone they feel they can trust. They are good kids with open minds and hearts. We can see that they are hungry and thirsty for something, and they are finding satisfaction in Christ and the hope He has to offer their lives. It's a blessing to be able to share with them what we know of God and His unfailing love for us. I'm glad to be here; a part of this.


I plan to start filming a series of videos here very soon. They will be short, introductory videos for the youth nights we will have here...each video will present an issue that these students face, and leave it open with a question. For example... the last thing said in a video could be something like, "Am I alone?" "Do I have purpose?" "Who am I?" Things like that, which address the topics of loneliness, purpose, or identity. There are so many issues to discuss, so there will be a lot of videos as well.


I'd really love and appreciate any suggestions you have as far as what types of issues students of this age face, struggle with, and want answers to. Some ideas I have come up with are those already mentioned; loneliness, purpose, identity...along with some others, like abuse, divorce/separation, money or lack of, meeting expectations, what/who to believe, sickness/death, and hope for the future. Are there other issues you face? Or that your kids face? What other topics can we address through video? Please give me your input. Thank you for your help!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

I think those topics will keep you busy for a while. My favorite is "purpose." I think that is actually an underlying theme in every one of the topics listed. When you understand your purpose, the rest of those issues become easier to figure out.

Make sure you share the videos. I'm excited to see them.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. Another thing to consider (I know you do!) is the idea that we are often held back ... restrained ... by our own comfort-sense. Few find it easy to move out of our normal (read "what we're used to") orbits. There is not necessarily danger in the unfamiliar ... mostly just unfamiliarity. Teach the kids (adults, too) to not fear excursions outside their comfort zones. You know how breathtaking (that's a good thing) they can be. You have credibility in this "out-of-my-comfort-zone" area, as well as all those others you noted (mentoring, video and skit production, genuine care for all the world's young people). Employe your credibility; credibility and trust are siblings.

Keep on keepin' on.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add peer pressure to the list. Kids' decision making is often clouded because they want to take the comfortable road - usually the one they know will be accepted by their peers. To your dad's point - being true to yourself ... making good decisions ... often involves stretching beyond comfort zones.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

hey, thanks family. those are good things. they are added to my list. stepping out of the comfort-zone and peer pressure(how did i not think of peer pressure??) good eye, Julie. dad...you too.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you didn't think of peer pressure because you've conquered it ... for now. It takes on new forms all throughout life. That's why being true to yourself is so important.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Ames, I'm a little behind on my blog reading. This is an awesome concept you've come up with. We are doing a reality themed virtue thing at school this year. The first one is courage with the spin that students be couragous in all situations, even the hard ones. It's making them think and I believe that stuff you plan to do will have the same effect on the students you are ministering to.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home