Friday, February 24, 2006

yeah. mm hmm.


Last weekend, I took six DFCC students with me up to Sierra Christian Service Camp in Posey, CA (population: 107) for a winter camp hosted by Christ's Church of the Valley in Bakersfield (asian population: 3). The students I took with me were some of the ones who helped film the videos that were shown each day at the camp. It was one of the best weekends ever...even despite a sprained ankle, and a six-hour round trip to the urgent care office. (And come to think of it, that was actually pretty fun too).

Since about November when we were invited to come along, I had been thinking of this camp as just sort of a camp that we were gonna tag along to; just hang in the background and watch somebody else's camp take place. I guess I figured that we were just going to camp with them because we made the videos that they were gonna show. But the first day we got there, it was clear to me that God had a different idea. It turns out, I don't think we went to camp because we made movies. I think we were invited to make movies because God wanted us to be at that camp. All the kids made friends quickly (and then all added each other on myspace within like fifteen minutes of getting home), every one of us just got tossed into the action. I was leading a d-group of girls I didn't know, which turned out to be awesome! (I added them on my myspace too :-)) Jonathan Kertes won the medieval times tournament at Saturday's dinner, which Loaf also competed in. Jonathan also wrote an essay during one of the "challenges" that brought the old guy in charge to tears (literally)....(not because it was bad either...it was good.) Monica and I won the costume contest. we got prizes. Gudy's name got shortened to Goo by all the girls who maybe didn't realize he had a girlfriend (or maybe they did and just didn't care...i don't know). Trevor really made a connection with his d-group leader, Chris. I was really grateful for that. These guys don't really connect very much with older guys. probably because there aren't too many of those around DFCC on wednesday nights. Tommy encouraged some jr. high boys to jump up and down with everything they had in them during worship. It was really awesome. God did a lot of good things in all our hearts. I don't know if winter camp this weekend will come close. I'm looking forward to it anyway. I'm also looking forward to doing more events with CCV in the future. This is what it's all about. Networking with other people in other churches, and building up relationships with other Christians all over the place.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Morrison said...

Awesome. Everyone was glad you all came and I think it was a growing experience on both sides. Thanks for all your hard work. mm hmm

10:02 PM  
Blogger Padfoot240 said...

That's great how God woks huh?

5:55 PM  
Blogger media39 said...

Amy next time you post a picture of an ankle the size of Kentucky can we have a little more warning for the people with weak stomachs....thanks. =P

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home