Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Laptop Search

Ok, I've narrowed down my laptop search a little bit...based on what kind of features these laptops have that I like.


1. 17inch monitor

2. number pad on keyboard

3. built-in wireless

4. built-in webcam/microphone


The problem is I don't understand all of the other specs, like...how much memory is good? Is 4GB good or do I need more? What about the hard drive? What's the difference between a 500GB 5400RPM hard drive and a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive? What kind of processor and operating system are good? These are my questions.



This one is at Costco. It's an HP dv7t and it looks like it's a deal that includes a wireless printer or something. It's got the features I like and lots of other stuff that I don't understand.






Then there's this one from Best Buy:
It's an HP with an Intel Pentium Processor...also with lots of things I like and lots of things I don't get....like what's an Intel Pentium Processor???
There are two on the HP website that look nice, the HP Pavillion dv7t and the HP G72 and I think they're like a semi-"build your own laptop" kind of deal 'cause there's all kinds of options listed for each spec category...but again...no idea.
So if anybody's got any insights, I'd be very grateful for the help with understanding this foreign language that is technology.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew C said...

Intel i3 and i5 is where it's at right now. 4 GB of memory is good. To get the full number pad you usually have to go with a screen 15" and up.

I'm not a big fan of HP and they just seem to have more problems than other manufacturers.

Looking around I saw this Acer at Costco and it actually looks really nice for the money:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11613794

word verification = hemet

10:09 PM  
Blogger Andrew C said...

And there's really not a huge difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm hard drives. Most in the $500-$700 range will be 5400rpm.

Pretty much everything should come with Windows 7 now. Could come with Home or Professional, again not much difference.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous abdulraheem said...

Very good post.
All the ways that you suggested for find a new post was very good.
Keep doing posting and thanks for sharing.
second hand laptops in hyderabad

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home