Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome to the U.S.A. Ismael! (Hey...don't tell your mom about this)

It's a sad day. A sad, sad, sad day. A day of tears and mourning...of deep sorrow and a pain and emptiness that reaches all the way to my soul. My dear friend, my faithful companion through good times and bad, the one who was always there for me no matter what...has gone to be in a better place.


Well...

Not better. Just the storage facility where insurance companies toss totaled cars before they get scrapped.

My poor Delilah...it breaks my heart.

Last Thursday around 9:40 in the p.m. I was at home, sitting at the dining room table showing my mom some nice-looking sand ceremony vases.

Me: Look, mom...these are nice-looking sand ceremony vases.
Mom: Oh...yes, they are n...

CRASH!!!!!! SIMULTANEOUS START-UP OF AIR CONDITIONER!!!!!!!

Mom: That didn't sound good....was that the air conditioner?
Me: Weird.

high pitched voice outside

Me: Hey...is that somebody laughing or screaming?

Mom and I walk to the front door...she opens the door...sounds like a woman laughing

Mom: Sounds like a woman laughing.

Mom closes the door

15 minutes later...

knock on door:

Neighbor: Hey, do you guys know there's a truck on your front lawn?
Us: No, we do not.

we walk outside

Mom: Oh no, Ames, look...that's your car.

Indeed, my mother was correct. That was my car. Only she wasn't where I had parked her originally. She was about 20 feet further down the street, perpendicular to the curb, back end smashed in, and windows shattered.



And you should see the other guy! (There was, in fact, an other guy.) The neighbor was also correct...the truck that smashed into her was, verily, on our front lawn, tires popped, front end crumpled, and mom's poor marigolds in the grill.


Really, though...take a look at the other guy. My little Jeep is Tuff!



Anyway...we heard nothing after what sounded like our A/C unit starting up with an awkward bang. But apparently we have extremely vigilant neighbors who explained that after Blue Flame here lost control of his dumb truck (probably drug-related. both the accident and the vehicle paint choice) and ended up on our lawn, he, his lady and their child climbed out of the truck, got in a shouting match and then walked down the street a couple houses, stashed two backpacks full of stolen goods and then the woman and kid took off walking down the street in the other direction. Genius sticks around and tries to start up the truck again...no dice. Then bashes in my windows, jams his truck key in my Jeep's ignition and hopes for a miracle. When that didn't work out as planned, he took off running (stumbling? idioting?) down the street.

The vigilant neighbors did call the police, who, of course, showed up after all this happened.

My Delilah was totaled.

Farewell, my beloved friend. You were good to me.






8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah C. said...

I am sorry that happened to your jeep. Hopefully the guy will get caught by the police one day.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Andrew C said...

Had her about 10-11 years right?

I hope this cheers you up:

Delilah.jpg

11:13 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

11 years of awesome! Andrew, you have no idea how much that helps. Once again Horatio saves the day.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous HF "Rick" said...

Andrew ... do could be writing scripts for "CSI, Miami". Maybe you are ... oh, my ...

12:18 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Amy, we were just reminiscing about the first 4x4 trip you took the Jeep on (Doug and the Aldridges, Joshua James Brown, Rob Kottman, etc) and how you didn't know there were skid plates on your car and jumped out in a panic when you high-centered on a rock. That was an awesome trip.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Padfoot240 said...

What a terrible day.

And what a terrible picture Andrew.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ames -
I've been told that the "beverage car" for the wedding day will have to move to our rental. Bummer. Guess we'll have to get an SUV now. Was really planning on the jeepers space.

guess who?

2:51 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

I think andrew made you a new banner for your blog, Amy. Anyway, that fool is lucky he didn't stick around! Jeeps sure are built tough. It's gonna be sad not seeing it around any more.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home